Hi everyone! For today's Wedding Wednesday, I wanted to talk more in depth about Chris and I's relationship. Several of you have messaged me asking questions along the lines of, "How do you and Chris maintain a solid, healthy relationship?" or "How do you guys keep that spark going?".
I really loved these questions so I had to add it to my list of Wedding Wednesday blog post ideas! For starters though, I want to say that no relationship is perfect. It is completely natural to have arguments and disagreements, and honestly it would be pretty unnatural if you never disagreed or got into little tiffs with your spouse! I personally think those are healthy for a relationship and help you grow with one another and learn about each other! So, Chris and I certainly don't have a picture perfect relationship, and I would never want it to be that way.
But, I do think we have a pretty incredible relationship and partnership. He is beyond patient and loving to me and really is my best friend. For those of you that don't know, we have been together for over 5 years, so we have been through so many things together and I have grown up so much while with him. We get to laugh about our awkward stages when we first met, tease about our goofy outfits we used to think were cool, and reminisce on high school memories together. I really believe that being together through those stages in life has brought us so much closer and overall been a benefit to our relationship. Our kind of love is so unique and special to me. It keeps me on my toes, makes me giggle on the daily, and fills my heart with so much happiness.
Now that we have lived with each other for almost three years, we have both learned so much about what it takes to make a relationship thrive and work. With that being said, I wanted to share some tips on how to keep the love alive in your own relationship!
1. Be each others best friend. I know this sounds cliché, but your partner should be the person you go to for everything. When something exciting happens for you, he/she should be the first person you call to share the big news. When your day isn't going that great, he/she should be the person you can go to in order to vent or the shoulder you cry on.
2. Be silly around one another and laugh with each other daily. I cannot tell y'all how important it is to really laugh and play with one another! Whether it's just tickling them when you walk by randomly or cracking a little joke, laughter is soooo key to a relationship. I can't remember a day when Chris and I didn't laugh about something, even if it was super minor. We will chase each other around the house, attempt the dirty dancing move weekly, randomly dance in our kitchen to no music, and get in more tickle fights than I can count and I absolutely love how much that adds to our relationship. Keeping things fun, easy going, and a little flirty helps so much.
3. Communicate with each other! Ever heard the expression, "communication is key"? Well, it's absolutely true. When you're stressed out, let them know! It will help them understand you more and know what's going through your head. If something that they do bothers you, tell them! Playing the guessing game with each other and the silent treatment will get you nowhere and only hurt your relationship. Being open with one another about your struggles, highs, and lows will take your relationship so much deeper and not only improve your overall relationship, but also elevate your trust in each other.
4. Spend time away from one another. This is so crucial if you are living together. Taking the time to have a girls day or to have some "me" time is a must. It allows you all to miss each other while you're away, it makes you take a step back and appreciate one another a little extra, and ensures that you have a life outside of just your relationship together. While you may be madly in love with one another and want to spend every second together, never get so absorbed that you grow distant from your friends and yourself as an individual. While Chris and I do spend a ton of time together, we make a point to have some separation and enjoy ourselves without always being together.
5. Never stop telling each other you love them. It doesn't matter if you've been together for 1 year or 10 years, never stop saying I love you every day. Remind each other how much you care about one another, compliment each other, pay attention to when he/she changes something up with their look, and reminisce on how your love has grown throughout your time with one another. Your kind of love is special and unique in its own way, never forget that.
I could go on and on about relationship advice, but I'm going to stop there! I hope these tips resonated with all of you, whether you are in a relationship or not! If you're like me and get sucked into reading various relationship articles, WeddingWire has some great ones that I will link HERE for y'all to check out! If you're up for it, comment below what makes Your Kind Of Love so special! I'd love to read y'alls stories.
Thank you WeddingWire for sponsoring this post with the #OurKindOfLove campaign!
Photos by the lovely Sara Miller